Incorporating Lean Development Practices into Agile Software Development
CALL FOR PAPERS
Fortieth Annual Hawai'i International Conference on System Sciences
January 3 - 6, 2007 (Wednesday-Saturday)
425 Waikoloa Beach Drive
Waikoloa, Hawaii 96738
Tel: 1-808-886-1234 Fax: 1-808-886-2900
conferences are devoted to advances in the information, computer, and system
sciences, and encompass developments in both theory and practice. Papers may
be theoretical, conceptual, tutorial or descriptive in nature. Submissions
undergo a double-blind peer referee process and those selected for presentation
will be published in the Conference Proceedings.
Additional detail may be found on HICSS primary web site: http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu
Mirror site http://www.is.cityu.edu.hk/hicss/
Agile software development processes
have been influenced by best practices in Japanese industry, particularly by
lean development principles  implemented at companies like Toyota , and knowledge management strategies developed by Takeuchi and Nonaka , now at the Hitotsubashi Business School in Japan, and Peter Senge  at MIT. This minitrack will focus on advancing the state of the art or presenting innovative ideas related to agile methods, individual practices and tools. Accepted papers are potentially to enrich the body of knowledge, to influence the framework of thought in the field by investigating Agile methods in a rigorous fashion.
We are looking for research papers on all aspects of agile methods, particularly those that bring best practices in knowledge management and lean development to Scrum  and similar practices:
Topics may include, but are not restricted to:
Papers are particularly relevant when lean thinking, lean development, and lean product development are shown as the means through which knowledge-based, knowledge-creating companies and organizations effectively implement agile software development principles and practices.
Jeff Sutherland, Ph.D., PatientKeeper, USA. email@example.com
Certified ScrumMaster Trainer and Co-Creator of the Scrum Agile Development Process.
Mary Poppendieck. Poppendieck, LLC, USA. firstname.lastname@example.org
Global consultant on Lean development. Author of Lean Software Development.
Jean Tabaka. Rally Development Corporation, USA. email@example.com
Certified ScrumMaster; a Certified Professional Facilitator; a member of the Project Management Institute, and author of Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders.
1. Poppendieck, M. "A History of Lean: From Manufacturing to Software Development." in JAOO Conference. 2005. Aarhus, Denmark: EOS.
2. Liker, J.K., "The Toyota way: 14 management principles from the world's greatest manufacturer. 2004, New York: McGraw-Hill. xxii, 330 p.
3. Takeuchi, H. and I. Nonaka, "Hitotsubashi on Knowledge Management. 2004, Singapore: John Wiley & Sons (Asia).
4. Senge, P.M., "The Fifth Discipline: the Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. 1990, New York: Currency.
5. Sutherland, J. "Future of Scrum: Parallel Pipelining of Sprints in Complex Projects." in AGILE 2005 Conference. 2005. Denver, CO: IEEE.
6. Sutherland, J., A. Viktorov, and J. Blount. "Distributed Scrum: Agile Project Management with Outsourced Development Teams." Submitted to Agile 2006, 2006. Available from http://scrumalliance.org/index.php/scrum_alliance/for_everyone/resources/scrum_articles/distributed_scrum_agile_project_management_with_outsourced_development.
are encouraged to contact Minitrack Chairs for guidance and indication of
appropriate content. Manuscripts are not accepted based on abstracts. Full
manuscripts must be submitted by June 15.
June 15 Authors submit full manuscripts to the Peer Review System, following Author Instructions found on the HICSS web site (www.hicss.hawaii.edu). All manuscripts will be submitted in double column publication format and limited to 10 pages including diagrams and references. Since manuscripts will undergo a double-blind review, author names and affiliations must not be included on the original manuscript. This information will be collected later through the system.
August 15 Acceptance
notices are sent to Authors via the Peer Review System.
September 15 Authors submit Final Version of accepted papers following submission instructions on the Peer Review System web site. At least one author of each paper must register by this date with specific plans to attend the conference to present the paper. Early Registration fee applies. (General Registration fee applies Sept 16-Dec 15.)
December 1 Deadline to guarantee your hotel room reservation at conference rate.
December 15 Deadline to receive conference registration refund. Late registration
• HICSS manuscripts must contain original material not previously published, nor currently submitted elsewhere.
• HICSS will conduct double-blind reviews of each submitted manuscript.
• Consult the conference website (www.hicss.hawaii.edu) for the listing and description of Minitracks
• Contact the Minitrack Chair(s) by email for guidance and verification of appropriate content. (Optional but strongly encouraged)
• Manuscripts may not be submitted to more than one Minitrack Chair. (One will be summarily rejected.) If unsure which Minitrack is appropriate, submit abstract to the Track Chair for guidance.
• Submit full manuscript according to detailed instructions found on the Peer Review System website.
Co-chairs: Robert O. Briggs bbriggs@GroupSystems.com Jay Nunamaker firstname.lastname@example.org
Decision Technologies and Service Sciences
Chair: Dan Dolk email@example.com
Digital Media: Content and Communication
Chair: Michael Shepherd firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair: H. Jochen Scholl email@example.com
Electric Power Systems
Chair: Robert Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-chairs: Murray Jennex email@example.com Dave Croasdell firstname.lastname@example.org
Systems & Technology
Chair: Hugh Watson email@example.com
Ralph Sprague, Conference Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
Sandra Laney, Conference Administrator email@example.com
Eileen Robichaud, Track Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org